Friday, October 19, 2012

Vintage Cameras

            Film has always been my number one choice when it came to photography.  Yes I do use digital yet film has that something special.  Whether its the grain in the print that attracts me or the process of getting that one special shot, or both, I'm really not sure.  As far as film cameras go I have a Minolta X-370 that was passed down to me from my mother.  It is by far my favorite camera that I own, light leaks and all.  I also have a holga and a couple of brownie cameras that I received from a family member.  
           After cleaning out the shed this summer I came across a Canon G-III QL still working in its original case.  I was so excited by this discovery that I started looking up more about it.  Finding out it was from the 70's and realizing I already owned some older cameras I came to a conclusion.  I was going to start a vintage camera collection.  
            After this obvious decision I started looking up what were popular cameras back in the 20's, 30's so on.  I came across a Kodak 35 RF from the 1940's, I was attracted to it by its odd look and intrigued as to how you worked the controls.  Setting out on eBay for the first time ever I was able to find just the right one.   
My Kodak 35
             As soon as I received it I loaded it up and started shooting.  It was interesting how long it took to take a single photo with this camera.  After one roll of film it started to get easier and before I knew it I had taken 4 rolls.  The most exciting part of this experience so far is the unknown of the end result.  You can shoot as many rolls as you'd like yet you don't even know if anything will come out.  Luckily all the rolls did come out and I now have another wonderful addition to my "new" vintage camera collection.  

"Uprooted"
Taken in upstate NY
"sitting stone"
Taken in PA




No comments:

Post a Comment